None of the companies operating locally or internationally would mind making double profits by making the use of ISO 9001 guidelines with additional benefits of expanding brand exposure, to be able to win tenders over market competitors and to being able to fulfill legal requirements. All those previously mentioned reasons attract companies to go towards ISO 9001 implementation and certification and more manufacturing organizations are now inclined.
Eight Lead Management Principles of ISO 9001 Standard
Enlisted below are top eight lead management principles of ISO 9001 standard:
- Focus on Customers’ Needs and Demands
- Top Leadership Commitment
- Employees’ Engagement
- Fundamental Process Approach
- Basic System Approach
- Continual Improvement Cycle
- Evidence Based Approach for Decision Making
- Supplier Vendor Relationship
Mandatory Documentation for ISO 9001 Documentation
- Objectives and criteria to measure success
- Quality Policy
- Customer Feedback
- Management Reviews
- Internal Audits
- Document Control
- Process Interaction and its Approach
- Supplier Relationship
- ISO 9001 standard copy
What are the Options to Implement ISO 9001?
There are two basic options to get ISO 9001 implemented in any organization.
- Taking Help for ISO Expert Consultant
- Taking Help From In-House Team / DIY (Do It Yourself Approach)
ISO 9001 Implementation with the Help of ISO Expert Consultant
If you have decided to take an external help i.e. hiring an ISO expert consultant who has success proven experience of implementing ISO 9001 standard and its guidelines. Here are following benefits that ISO consultant will offer you.
- Consultant will Get Your Work Done on Your Behalf
After hiring a consultant, all the implementation process and documentation will be the headache of the consultant. One only need to ensure your team corporates with the consultants and provide them support whenever needed and the consultant is well-supervised by the higher management.
- Corrective Actions in Documentations
The consultant will have a detailed study about existing documentation of your organization and will advise and discuss the required amendments. After management approval, consultant will make sure to do necessary corrections and will assist your team to implement such mandatory corrections.
Make sure ISO consultant will educate and train your staff about all the mandatory requirements of ISO 9001 standard and will ensure that the team knows and deeply understand.
ISO 9001 DIY (Do It Yourself) Approach
The DIY approach might not be workable for every business type and every business need depending upon the number of employees being working for the group. In this case, your own employees will be responsible for doing process analysis, conducting various interview sessions, designing and even re-designing documentation process but that would again depend on how much your employees are being trained and educated on ISO 9001 standard or if they have some relevant exposure or not. Make sure your employees are not overwhelmed with other day to day projects because daily routine work might overburden your current employees and they won’t be able to focus on actual most important task i.e. ISO 9001 implementation. Getting your documents ready by your own employees will make them feel empowered and will definitely increase their competency level by making them learn in their own way to sustain ISO 9001 in their management system.
How to Decide Which Approach Is Best For Your Business?
There is no hard and fast rule to implement ISO 9001 via any of the approach previously defined. It is dependent on your current business situation.
Go For Hiring A Consultant Only If:
- ISO 9001 implementation is a time bound process so hire an ISO expert consultant if you are left with less time in getting audited.
- Your employees are so overwhelmed with current projects being executed in your organization and are not able to manage ISO 9001 implementation as a separate on top priority project.
- Hiring a consultant will cost to your budget so if you are not too tight on your budget then one can proceed for hiring an ISO consultant.
- You are more confident on the competency of ISO consultant then being relying on your in-house team which might be not ready to get ISO 9001 implemented at the moment.
Go for DIY Approach Only If:
- If you have ample time before audit and your employees have prior experience and knowledge of ISO standards and its implementation or are competent enough then ask your team to assist you out in ISO 9001 implementation process.
- If you had a bad financial year and you need to cut down your expenses only then go for depending on your in-house team.
- If you don’t believe on knowledge sharing approach and want to keep the knowledge and expertise of ISO 9001 implementation and its basic concept.
Must-To-Read Before Hiring Any ISO Consultant
It’s great if you have decided to hire any ISO consultant but before you plan your next move it is advised to have a look on some words of wisdom about ISO consultants. Some ISO consultants are born leaders and may help you by going extra miles to get you ISO 9001 certified. On the other hand, some ISO consultants prefer to get their job done, go for certification, get paid and prefer moving to next job. Being a major stake holder of your company, it is important for you to do your homework first in order to make sure you hire the best of the best ISO consultant so that your company can get rid of unpleasant surprises.