About IATF 16949 Standard
International Automotive Task Force commonly abbreviated as IATF 16949 (which has successfully superseded another worldwide recognized standard, known as ISO/TS 16949:2009) is a renowned standard whose requirements are based on the foundations of Quality Management System’s (QMS) one of the best proven tool of continual improvement which is further drilled into corrective and preventive actions approach. One of the highlighting factor is its fully compliance and integration with ISO 9001.
Members of IATF
IATF is lead automotive manufacturer group whose sole purpose is to provide defect free products and services with high quality results to all automotive customers around the globe. The names of IATF members are BMW Group, Chrysler Group, Daimler AG, Fiat Group Automobile, Ford Motor Company, General Motors Company, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Renault SA, Volkswagen AG, AIAG (U.S.), ANFIA (Italy), FIEV (France), SMMT (U.K.), VDA (Germany).
IATF 16949 Conjunctions with other ISO Standards
IATF 16949 compliments following ISO standards by having conjunctions with:
- ISO 9001
- ISO 9000
- ISO 9004
- ISO 19011
- ISO 31000
The foundation is based on following seven golden QMS principles which are stated below:
- Customer Focus
- Strong Leadership of Top Management
- Team’s Full Engagement
- Process Based Approach
- Continuous Improvement
- Decision making and Problem Solving based on Facts and Figures
- Management of Relationship
Integration of IATF 16949 & QMS
Quality Management System (QMS) based on reflects:
- Realistic approach for defining requirements of customers
- Continual Improvement and its application
- The requirement to clearly define organization’s objectives
- The importance of delivering flawless products and services
- Waste reduction
- Some automotive industrial core tools which are :
(a). Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
(b). Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
(c). Statistical Process Control (SPC)
(d). Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA)
(e). Production Part Approval Process (PPAP)
Why Opt for IATF 16949?
Incomparable benefits are enlisted below for your kind attention:
- Improved Products’ Quality and Design
- Better Process Quality
- Consistent and common quality system approach
- Reduction in defected products
- Evident Waste Reduction
- More Open Doors to Welcome New Businesses
- Enhanced Risk Management With More Product Safety
Who Should Opt For IATF 16949 Certification?
IATF 16949 certification will be highly relevant to all types of automotive industries whether it is small manufacturer or top notch multinational automotive manufacturer.
What to see in Consultants for IATF 16949 certification?
- Trusted Experience
- Proven Client’s satisfaction
- Technical Expertise
- Assistance from Start of the Process till Certification
Upcoming Amendments in IATF 16949
Expansion In IATF 16949 Requirements
We live in a competitive world and the need to get everything better has been noticeably increasing and requirements too. To get IATF 16949 certificate, it is compulsory to have documented competency of first and second party auditors in specifically following areas:
(a). Risk Based Thinking: Compliance of company’s products, parts under usage, spare parts, processes and outsourced parts must be ensured at all levels. Risks mitigation program must be in place to ensure proper risk management.
(b). Relevant Automotive Core Tools Requirements
(c). Automotive Process Approach with root cause solving mindset: Warranty management
(d). Customer Specific Requirements: Proper distinction between customer requirements and customer specific requirements (CSR) has been defined.
Competency development can be done by regular training sessions and periodic refresher sessions along with evaluation test and its result recording to check the level of understanding and awareness about IATF 16949 and its requirements.
Better Risk Management and its Control
With drastic progress in the sector of Information Technology, international standards also got updated. An entirely new section named “Product Safety” has been added in IATF 16949 whose focus is on proper function of each and every product without any unexpected break down, minor stoppages and must complete its whole life cycle. Summarized key clauses that emphasize on better risk control and minimization.
(a). Employees’ Competency Building: Companies must be able to show documented standardized process to check internal auditors’ and second party auditors’ training needs and relevant competency. Documented training program must be in place for internal auditors.
(b). Feasibility Assessment for Operational Modification: Targets assigned by customers’ to the company must be stipulated on the basis of company’s manufacturing feasibility and it will be verified by auditors also. Warranty management is yet another area which will be assessed by the auditors during IATF 16949 certification audit.
(c). Updated Embedded Software
(d). Non-conformances’ management
Key Performance Indicators (KPI) Management and Tracking
The upcoming modifications of IATF 16949 will lead to not only KPI settings but will be verifying action plan in terms of their accomplishment routes towards their assigned KPIs. Further, the level of employees’ engagement can also be evaluated on the basis of achieved, on tack and incomplete KPIs.
Red Hot Burning Questions that IATF 16949 Auditors Will be Asking during IATF 16949 certification Audit
- Frequency of KPI Review: Auditors will ask how often you review your KPIs and will ask to show Minutes of Meeting with relevant action plan also.
- Team Participation in KPI Review: During KPI review, they will gauge the level of employee engagement by checking active participation of the team and specially the top management.
- Internal Audit Schedule: Auditors will verify internal audit report and will assess how much management has been involved in it.
- Validation of System Effectiveness: The effectiveness of the process for achieving your KPI goals will be judged by looking into KPI accomplishment by team.
Practical Rock Solid Steps to Becoming an IATF 16949 Certified
There are two types of IATF 16949 certification. Those are:
- Certification of Company’s Quality Management System against the requirements.
- Certification of individuals to be able to audit against all the requirements of IATF 16949 and have it in certified form.
Implementation Process of IATF 16949?
To implement IATF 16949, any automotive organization will have to go through continuous improvement cycle for successful certification of IATF 16949. The essential steps with continuous improvement cycle embedded are as follows:
- Internal Audits and Gap Analysis
- Periodic Management Review
- Corrective and Preventive Actions
- Phase 01 : Documentation Review
- Phase 02: Main IATF 16949 Certification audit